Saturday, October 17, 2009

What to do about the Pumpkin Shortage?!


I'm reading that farmer's are fearing a canned pumpkin shortage this holiday season. Many are fearing how this shortage will affect their pumpkin pies this thanksgiving...

I've been to the stores lately, though, and have so many whole pumpkins available for sale - so I thought I'd share some thoughts on how EASY it is to take a whole pumpkin and turn it into pumpkin puree ready for pies! I've done this the last couple of years and have frozen the pumpkin for pies, bars and breads at a later time. I've also found that this makes really good baby food if you blend it in the blender!

I usually wait until the pumpkins go on sale after the holidays and stock up but this year, we might have to be making our own mashed pumpkin earlier!

There is a great picture tutorial on how to make pumpkin puree from a whole pumpkin here.

Oh, and don't forget about cooking the seeds for a yummy snack!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Domestic Contessa Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon